November 30, -0001
Working on the back mostly, after restoring the radiator. There's still a problem with it sitting a little too low and the hood won't fit correctly.
Next big job is to replace the fire wall. It was replaced with a chip board one at one stage and the moisture has blown the chipboard. I am getting some help and advice with getting it out and making a marine ply replacement.
9/1/15; Christmas and New Year. I got the template from Alan Bennett and I am working with a house guest of ours Moreno. Allan supplied me with a cut out of the firewall and we have copied the template. But Moreno wants to make another out of a much more durable material which I had lying around. So it looks like I will have a firewall to suit a 1915 or around that time if anyone is interested in buying the first one off me. It is ready to slot in but you will need to remove the steering column which is a cow of a job they tell me. I'll let you know how we get on.
24/7/15 We got the fire wall in and it has really stabilized the whole body. We have finished most of the upholstery we replaced all of the floor boards with marine ply and put in a bit of red carpet. We have fashioned a buckboard arrangement on the back instead of the fiberglass turtle deck that the previous owner had made. It has a step through on the passenger side to provide access onto the back. I had an old wooden box that my grandfather made in 1915. I have refurbished it and put a cushion and upholstery on it to form a seat for the back much like a 1912 that I saw. Two old 1960s style yarrah garden table settings were the raw material that we used for the timber work. It came up magnificently.
11/10/15 Trying to get all of the electrical fittings on. I have purchased a commutator loom and a lighting wiring loom. '15s did not have indicators and stop lights or running lights they were all Kerosine. I have managed to mount a light in the rear kero lamp by cutting it down and fitting it in and I will have a stop light and license plate light. I still have to make something for the indicator lenses. I managed to get a bunch of 6v lights at auction at Scammells and have sourced the bayonet lamp holders. I got some VR Commodore clearance lights that may work so I am going to have a go and see what I come up with. I have new glass lenses for the front lights from Henry's in Victoria and have been able to clean up the chrome reflectors with some soft wire wool.
13/5/16 Finally got her going and registered with heaps of help with the electrics from Rod Crawford. Went on the run to McLaren Vale and she made to to the top of O'Halloran hill in top gear. Then she started running rough. Still got to the Parade and was happy to be part of that and then on to Penny's Hill winery. We had a great time there. Unfortunately when it came to coming home she started was not at all happy. We limped in to McLaren Vale and called the RAA.
Thought it might be a problem with the spark plugs as modern plugs were fitted with adaptors. Thought we would try that first so decided to buy a set of the original big bore, Champion plugs. We fitted them this afternoon and she ran like a dream.
I think I'll try her on short runs in the near future. I have decided to take the '65 Falcon Ute on the Annual Run so that won't be spoiled by any surprises. I want to take it back to Balaklava Motors on a run next and see if she is still under warranty.
Most Users Ever Online: 39
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 0
Newest Members: Williamempog, DumpsPin101201, edenx94197364831, carder008, ayokolodio, stevenxPaync, caicai2017, dumpsonline79, demasdarvina, worlddark
Administrators: admin: 1